The main task of TIPH is to observe, and report on the situation in Hebron which is the Area of Responsibility. The mandate states that TIPH “assists in monitoring and reporting efforts to maintain normal life in the city of Hebron, thus creating a sense of security among the Palestinians in Hebron.” TIPH reports on breaches of international humanitarian law and international human rights law and of the Hebron-related agreements. The reports are shared with the Palestinian and Israeli Authorities as well as the six contributing countries. TIPH tries to keep a visible presence throughout the city, and especially in known hotspots such as the Old City, Tel Rumeida, Tariq Bin Ziad and Jabal Jawhar. We patrol every day, all year around in order to monitor and observe on the situation in the city. In addition, we have a number where people can call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and inform us if something is going on in the city that we should observe.
The Agreement on TIPH identifies seven tasks:
- to promote by their presence a feeling of security to the Palestinians of Hebron;
- to help promote stability and an appropriate environment conducive to the enhancement of the well-being of the Palestinians of Hebron and their economic development;
- to observe the enhancement of peace and prosperity among Palestinians;
- to assist in the promotion and execution of projects initiated by the donor countries;
- to encourage economic development and growth in Hebron;
- to provide reports ; and
- to coordinate its activities with the Israeli and Palestinian authorities.